The BigPond Adelaide Film Festival (let’s just call it BAFF) had its program launch on Friday and, boy, it looks like it’s going to be a packed few months. On the show tonight we talked about a few of the great FREE forums and discussions that are being held as a part of BAFF.
- David and Margaret of “At The Movies” fame are coming to Adelaide to celebrate their 25th year reviewing films. We’d love to get their take on our film industry considering they’ve been around to see it change over the years.
- Master of movie illusion, Douglas Trumbull, will be running a lecture called “Technologies of Immersion”. He was behind some of the most defining images of science fiction with “2001: A Space Odyssey” and “Blade Runner”.
- American independent filmmaker, John Sayles is here with his producer (and partner), Maggie Renzi, for the Australian premiere of his new feature “Amigo”. Along with presenting this and other films from his back catalogue, John will be interviewed by Rolf de Heer (director of “Ten Canoes” and “Bad Boy Bubby”) in front of an audience about his career. This is a must for anyone looking at the independent road to film.
- Insite Screenplay Reading is a very interesting concept. Over a three hour period, a feature length screenplay is acted out on stage while a director begins to shape the performances and start imagining the film. It’s a wonderful insight into the script development process.
- From Adelaide SFX company, Rising Sun Pictures, VFX supervisor Sean Mathiesen and art director Nick Pill, will be giving us some insight into the special effects process in regards to their work on “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One”.
We also heard from some of the cast from “Sanctum”, produced by James Cameron but filmed in Queensland with a largely Australian cast. Ioan Gruffudd and Alice Parkinson spoke about the panic and anxiety they felt filming some of the underwater scenes – some serious method acting there.
I enjoyed playing a bit of the Zimmer-man because I love his work. That track is actually my message tone. Huzzah.
“I Never Woke Up In Handcuffs Before” – Hans Zimmer
“I Just Dropped In (Too See What Condition My Condition Was In)” – Kenny Rogers and the First Edition
“In the House – In a Heartbeat” – John Murphy
“This Mess” – Wolf and Cub
“The Hounds” – The Protomen
“Gamble Everything For Love” – Ben Lee
“From The Deep” – Midnight Juggernauts